When it comes to South Korean reality variety shows, many can take the cake. But, one show that is one of the most popular like the good Sunday series is ‘Running man’. Without a doubt, this quirky, adventurous, comedy-rich, and competitive variety show with hosts and guests is quite the entertainment.
About Running Man
For those who are not familiar with the program, here is a short introduction. This show airs on SBS as part of the Good Sunday lineup. Urban Works Media and the SangSang company produce it. The format of the game is like any reality show. Here, the MC team and a guest go to an urban location and take part in multiple mission lineups. Winning each mission brings the participant one step closer to winning the race.
The show has been airing since 2010 and has since aired 554 episodes. The show is filmed in various locations such as Macau, UK, Russia, China, Vietnam, United Arab Emirates, Australia, etc., along with South Korea.
There are several MCs on the show, with Yoo Jae-suk being the main MC, he runs the show along with other big names like Lee Kwang Soo, Jee Seok-Jin, Song Ji-Hyo, etc. The show also received a spot on the Business Insider List in 2016.
Why is Running Man so much fun?
When it comes to a reality variety show, there is always a moment when the impact on the audience is lost. But, this show has maintained its impact, and people live to see it to this day. Why? Well, the biggest reason is the cast. Their non-stop banter, banter and banter with each other make the show the ultimate in fun.
Also, people love the traitorous trio of Ji Suk Jin, HaHa, and Lee Kwang Soo. They are always pulling pranks and harassing each other which makes the show a laugh. Games are always fun to watch too. Tear apart the name tag is the game that gets everyone a part of it. This iteration of hide and seek is one of the best things about the show. New locations and new guests make the show that much more entertaining.
some fun facts
- Kim Jong Kook out of the entire cast is the only one who speaks English fluently.
- Initially, it was designed to make the game male-only so that it would be competitive. But later, Song Ji-Hyo became a part of the game and gave the boys equal competition.
- Breaking the name tag is the most popular part of the game. But not many know that name tags are quite expensive, costing up to 75 dollars each.
- Most of the cast members show their real personalities on the show, in a slightly exaggerated way.
- Previously, the show was designed to be competitive. But then, it turned into a more competitive and comedic format.
- From the beginning, Lee Kwang Soo is the most bullied character in the game.
- After South Korea’s running man, China will have its running man program, with the name ‘Hurry up, brother’.
Running man is one of the most popular reality variety shows in South Korea with a huge Hallyu following. The show is also subtitled in various languages like English, Thai, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Malay, Russian, Arabic, Turkish, etc.